Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Names have been changed to protect the innocent....

The following is an excerpt from a Vietnam adoption website that I follow. I haven't stopped laughing since (although it is not entirely funny but still very profound) and I hope nobody minds that I repeated it and of course changed the names so that identities will be protected. It goes to show the lack of sensitivity for adoptive parents and their children. I know humor goes a long way in getting through difficult situations and this could not have come at a better time. Well-said fellow PAP!

"Let me start by saying I’m not one usually to get on a soap box but, my step mother convinced me to sign up with several of the formula companies so I could receive their coupons. I am getting really irritated with them telling me where I should be at in my pregnancy each month, and/or offering me a coupon to get the free gift bag when I deliver at the hospital. I have emailed a few of them explaining that I feel there advertising and marketing is discriminatory and offensive, because they make no effort to differentiate and market to adoptive parents. One company sent me an email in response directing me to a remote section of their website that discusses adoption, but yet I still receive weekly and monthly emails about my supposed progress in my pregnancy. Anyone else frustrated by this?

The following is an excerpt from what I received and my suggested change to it:

As received:

Hi Pregnant Female (insert name),

You're almost there! Your baby now weighs about 7 pounds and now has about 300 bones in her body, some of which fuse together in her first few years of life. Read more about Week 39.

Should read:

Hi Prospective Adoptive Parent (PAP),

You’re almost there! You’re paperwork now weighs about 7 pounds and now has about 300 signatures, notarizations and authentications in your completed dossier. You’re baby is probably celebrating her first few weeks of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is trippy to think about when our babies were conceived and where we were at the time. We get those emails all the time. I set up a dummy account just so I didnt have to read that crap.