Monday, October 29, 2007

The fun of Halloween

Out on the town ringing door bells for sweets! (identities have been protected!)

Clewiston (the best black lab in the world) as a wicked witch a couple of years ago.


I am taking my cue from a certain person I know and by request am jotting down some ideas I have about Halloween. First and foremost, it is important that the reader keep in mind how much I adore Halloween. "Adore" may be a strange choice of words for most but truly I love the day. I think my fondness has mostly to do with the kind gesture of passing out candy, especially chocolate, to complete stranger dressed in costumes. How is this not fun and amusing not to mention deliciously tasty? Usually at some point in October the the weather has cooled slightly or at least the unbearable humidity has dropped to an acceptable level. This being said, I normally enjoy a good hair month. (Definitely, a plus in my book not to have my hair sagging around my face.) Most people enjoy the turning of the leaves during October. In Florida the palms keep their healthy green glow year round so the kaleidoscope of color is something only seen in pictures. Overall, I just feel rather festive. Children seem happy (probably thinking about candy?) and the general public is warming to the idea of the approaching holidays. I feel like Halloween is the up-swing or turning-point of the year. And the best non-edible part about Halloween... one doesn't need an excuse to dress-up in a costume. When else during the year can one, as an adult, slip into a hot pink wig, go-go boots, a vinyl skirt, groovy attitude and head of to their day job at the office? Who doesn't want to just pretend for one day not to be themselves, to have the freedom to act like someone else or something else. What an excellent idea that we instill this in our children at a young, tender age that it is okay to dress up and play pretend. What we are today we may not be tomorrow. It is good for us adults to remember this, too. Sometimes, we all need to change it up a little. And best of all, we are rewarded with candy! One of the above pictures was taken a couple of years ago at one of our Halloween parties. Good friends of ours pulled off the concept of "less than middle-class living" and YES this is a costume! Trick or Treaters........have a frightfully fun night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boo! Did I scare you? So what are you going to dress up as this Halloween? Something fun I hope.

Anonymous said...

YEah, after that great post, made me wonder what you will be this year!