Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A post I have not wanted to write.....

For those of you in the adoption community, whether that be domestic or international, we are given tickets on this tumultuous roller coaster ride and while we constantly check the harness to make sure it is securely fastened we know that at some point in the ride it will be bumpy. We hope to not be thrown off the ride at any point or to be suspended up-side down for any period of time but the we read read the warnings before climbing on. The last couple of weeks have been turbulent concerning adoptions from our little girl's orphanage in Vietnam. There have been families who have had to return home without their children. There have been numerous rumors. There are countless unknowns. Our future as a family hinges on the next couple of weeks and how matters resolve. We are heart broken for the families involved and we are at a loss of words for what this means for us. Perhaps, it means only a delay and perhaps it means more than we are willing to acknowledge right now. I read a post from a fellow blogger who, like the rest of us challenged with having a family, began to question how her and her husband would define themselves if they choose to not have children. My husband and I have had that conversation, a soul- searching , gut- wrenching conversation. Now that we have embraced the prospect of our family and we have attached to the pictures of our daughter I can not imagine life without her. I see books I want to read to her before she goes to bed at night. I envision her telling me about her day at school while I pack her lunch for the next day. I can not imagine not having her. So, I post this to say that we are troubled right now because at best we may be delayed. And most important I post this to say there are families out there hurting and grieving. Let's try and be understanding and supportive even though we really can not imagine their burden. Lastly, we appreciate your warm thoughts and positive energy. When we know something more.........

2 comments:

Leslie & Shaune said...

my heart is breaking for what is happening. you are in my thoughts and i am wishing the very best for your family and your daughter.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get some sort of update soon, I know how hard it can be to wait. My thoughts and prayers are all sent your way!