Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Where are we?

We are here... just still taking in the fantastic news about our referral. I have felt very conflicted about blogging lately but I wanted to stop in and say "hello". I am a very task orientated individual and I always have a list of things to do at hand. Lately, I am just reminding myself to make a list of things that need to get done without actually completing anything. I am being so unproductive. This is a very strange time for me. I feel so unprepared for this next step in our journey. When you are in the process of adopting you spend all this time gathering forms and having things signed and notarized. You are stuck in a process. Then, you wait. An agonizing wait because you can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel. And then you receive the best call in the world! And for most they slip into hyper-drive while I have slipped in neutral. Anyway, I am feeling like I am letting precious time fly away. Other adoptive parents always say that this part of the waiting is the hardest. It is but in a much different way. I am peace knowing that we have been matched to our child and knowing that the clock is ticking away and that soon we will meet her and start our family with her. But I am really at a loss as to what I should be doing now. A couple of amazing friends have planned a couple of showers for us and I am so looking forward to these events. Last weekend we went to visit my husband's mother who is 92. She still lives at home and has in-home care but she is doing awesome. I mean to wake up every day at 92 and just keep on going takes great spirit and immense mental fortitude. She is quite an inspiration. She has a boyfriend, he is just a couple of years younger than her and quite animated. He lives across the street and the only reason I mention this is because while we were visiting he came over to sit with us. He is so loving and full of admiration for my mother-in-law. He is constantly telling her how beautiful she is and how she is the love of his life. That is so amazing to see- genuine love and respect. It was a beautiful afternoon. SO, if you get a little out of sorts today just slow down a little and show someone you care about how much you love and respect them for being who they are. Oh, and laugh a little. Humor really makes things a lot easier. Before we left my mother-in-law's house, we placed a picture of the baby in a frame on the counter. Now, she had seen the picture all day and really hadn't commented on Mattine. I think she was still processing what we were telling her about the baby. As we turned to leave and as we told her we would bring our little girl to meet her grandmother she said, "she is a little butterball!" And granted in the picture our daughter looks like she has not missed a meal, the comment was so unexpected that we all cracked up laughing. AND then we knew she had "gotten" what we were there to tell her. Besides that, I am not really going anywhere in particular with this post other than to say- we are great. We are still here and counting the days. But we know nothing as to when we might hear travel news and we have no new updates on our baby girl. And I am still not getting anything accomplished on my "to-do lists". But we are so happy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute how Grandma got it! Continue to do things your way and have fun!