Saturday, December 22, 2007

Our Nola

I have very close family ties to Mississippi and Louisiana. Hurricane Katrina definitely left a mark on my family and impacted thousands of others. The Gulf Coast is still reeling from the disaster and with the tenacious spirit of it's inhabitants, the area will be born again. But there is still much recovery to do. Last year, one of my favorite shows, Studio 60, (now cancelled) did an amazing Christmas episode. It was probably one of the better holiday shows I have ever seen. And although I may be a little biased, the music from that episode will stay with me forever. Unfortunately, the clip from the show is no longer available on NBC. The episode featured musical performances by New Orleans musicians displaced after the hurricane. The musicians were led by Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews in an original arrangement of "O Holy Night". The song is amazing, stunning, beautiful and haunting all at the same time. It is sure to leave you with chills or at the very least an overwhelming sense of peace. The musical arrangement was assembled with the help of the Tipitina's Foundation, an organization dedicated to restoring Louisiana's irreplaceable music community and preserve the state's unique musical culture. Another one of our favorite sites is Save Nola. (NOLA, the abbreviation for New Orleans, LA) Several evacuees, in a attempt to rebuild their city by raising funds to build homes founded the sportswear line. The items are created, made and promoted by a group of native New Orleanians who lost their homes and personal possessions. 100% of the net proceeds will go to organizations dedicated to building, rebuilding or “greening” homes in New Orleans. The New Orleans affiliate of Habitat for Humanity is one such program. Save Nola is proud to support their unprecedented effort to build homes and restore our beloved city. Additionally, Global Green is working to create a safer, sustainable environment for the city’s future. The line of merchandise is great. We have t-shirts, baseball caps, and a tote which are rotated weekly in our wardrobe, they are staples really. Together, we will save Nola.

And that leads me to our daughter. We are giving Mattine the middle name of Nola. Although, it is a city she has never visited it is a place she will learn to know and love- the food, the culture, the family ties. She already has an incredible spirit and has overcome so much. The future awaits her and with the help and love of family, friends and strangers alike she will continue to grow and blossom. The name just seemed fitting. Except it is our "Nola Girl" who is saving us!

6 comments:

Christy said...

Greetings from a native New Orleanian. I stumbled across your blog a couple of months ago and has been following it. We are currently in Houston but go back to LA often. If you would like to follow ours, it is ouradoptionjourneytovietnam.blogspot.com

Christy

Carissa said...

I love it when names have such great meaning!

Anonymous said...

She will be a strong little girl. New Orleans has always been a special place for me, as well. What a wonderful name. Do you listen to "Shorty's" music? He is great!

Karey said...

I LOVE this. Let me start by saying I am so sorry for all those affected by Katrina-what a sad time. I'm so happy to see that things are starting to prosper there once again. NOLA is my favorite place ever (we used to visit every year before we had our daughter). Seriously, I'd move there in a heartbeat if my dh was up for it-there's something that pulls me there that I just can't explain. We too have thought about a NOLA related name for our daughter. I just love that you're using NOLA.

Also, what's the deal with Studio 60? I'm glad I'm not the only one who's really upset that it was cancelled. It was such a good show.

Happy New Year!!! Hopefully we'll be celebrating together soon :).
-Karey

Anonymous said...

It always is special to know where your name comes from and what meaning it has behind it. I like the name Nola and what you mean by it.

Lisa Resnick said...

I'm personally a big fan of talesfromourlittleworld blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
clipping path
clipping path service